About Me

My photo
Innsbruck, Tirol, Austria

Hi, and welcome to my blog! :D

I made this blog to be able to keep everyone updated on, as it says, my adventures while studying in Austria. :) I apologize for the Englishness (those who know me will not be surprised), but there are a quite a few non-Dutch speakers that wanted to keep up with me and I wasn't really up for writing every post in both languages... My apologies! :)

That said, have a look around, drop me a comment and enjoy! ;)

PS: © for the header to Melora @ deviantArt. I'm not that good of an artist, sorry. ;)

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Day 10 - 12: The joys of school and books


Day 10: Wednesday, March 4

I'm getting comments from all around that I'm not updating enough, so I'll try to do better! ;) The thing is, though, that this place is really kind of uneventful, once you get used to it. :D There not a lot I can tell you, besides a mix of "I went to school.", "I went out." and "I read a lot." ;) But! I'll do my best anyhow.

On Wednesday, the only important thing that happened, is that (silly as I am), I started reading Twilight! I know half of you are rolling your eyes at me right now, going "OMG, Fia, did you have to read THAT?" but I stick my tongue out at you! :p I downloaded digital versions of the 4 books in the series before I left and decided I might as well have a go.

And, well. Those who have been around me when I'm reading a good story probably know what happened. :p Let me just say that in 3 days, I read the first 3 books. :D I get a kind of one-track mind, okay? Everything is like "read read read read must read!"

Anyhow, I'm enjoying Twilight a lot! :) The first book is kind of... Let's just say some characters are kind of whiney. ;) The second one is my least favourite, and the 3rd is my favourite so far!

The other thing that happened on Wednesday is that we had class with Mrs. Katzlinger, in my opinion the most fun of the 4 English teachers we have. :) She was very nice, very helpful and she teaches about English culture, which is obviously very interesting. :)

Day 11: Thursday, March 5

On Thursday Kevin and I had Praxis again. This day we got to sit in the back and observe a few English lessons by trainees from our school. It was very interesting to see some of the techniques used here, and I definitely picked up some useful things. :)

I saw 2 lessons, one about breakfast and one about the Present Perfect tense. The lesson about breakfast was good, if a little stilted because the trainees were very nervous. (Afterwards I heard they were first years and this was their first lesson to teach to actual pupils! So, nervousness is definitely okay. :p) The second lesson, about Present Perfect, however, was a little painful to watch. :/ They were also very nervous, but unfortunately this influenced their teaching and it wasn't a very good lesson. But, always room for improvement and I shudder to think what my first lesson was like. :p

Aside from Praxis, Thursday was also the day I first discovered that my neighbour had returned and that she was fond of loud music. :p Unfortunately, it seems her favourite band is Coldplay. Whom I hate! I solve this problem by using my headphones a lot. :p My life, so hard. :(

Day 12: Friday, March 6

On Friday I have no classes, so I stayed in bed late. Which, Mom, you'll be pleased to know is till around 9:30! :p The curtains in my room are yellow, so they don't really stop a lot of light in the morning. :p

This Friday, however, I was facing my first real challenge! LAUNDRY!

I had, and I am shameful to admit this, never ever done laundry before. :p So I was hugely nervous about doing it. What if I shrunk all my clothes! What if I turned all my whites pink! What if I did BOTH! :p

It started out troublesome, some other dude had put laundry in, but you have to use coins and 1 coin = 1 KWh. His coin, however, didn't last for his full load of laundry, so the electricity had shut itself off but his laundry was still in the machine and I couldn't get it to open!

In the end I just put my coin in there and let his laundry finish up with my electricity. His load only needed 1 more minute anyhow. :) Then Cristina (sweet, lovely Cristina, if you read this: THANK YOU! :D) helped me put my load in and then I was doing laundry! And nothing changed colour! Or shrunk! It was awesome. :D Go team me!

Laundry's still in my room now, today is ironing day! Another challenge. :p

Also on Friday, Kevin and I had to make a quick jet to school for a meeting with Mrs. Pietersteiner, our English Lit teacher. Turns out we have to write 2 page short story with hints that she gave us. HOORAY! \o/ My hints are:
- artist
- art performance
- skyscraper
- sushi bar
- bridge

My brain went: NEW YORK. Yes, it makes sense. :p Shush. So I'm looking forward to doing that this weekend. I haven't written anything halfway decent for over a year so maybe it's time to get back into it! Especially what with having signed up to write a 20,000 word novella before May and such. :p

And, on Friday evening, there was a party in our house common room! It was Sara's birthday (she turned 21 for the 10th year in a row. ;) Or was it 19, I forget... :p), so we turned on some music, danced a bit, played some UNO and generally laughed a lot. :D Fun was had!

I think that's about it for the last 3 days... Oh! I also bought a bike, to be able to get around easier. Everything here is at least half an hour walk away so I was kind of eager for one. :) Aside from that, no big news, so I'm gonna go get dressed, do some ironing, go to the store and read the last Twilight book. Probably not in that order. :p

Auf wiedersehen!

Fia/Lindsey

1 comment:

  1. dearling sis, finally found a place where I can get on the internet for just 1 pound, jippieieie ... Loving your blog - you are a very entertaining writer ...
    Told mum about the possibly staying here and she was very supportive, but still sad ofcourse.
    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete